When hard work doesn’t pay off.

One of the ways we’re planning to justify the actions of Kelly’s character is to present her as an honest, hardworking individual, disappointed by what she gets in return for her positive approach to life. Because it’ happens all the time, and we see it every day:

• You submit an essay you’ve spent two weeks writing and researching for, yet it get’s a poor mark because of minor errors.
  • You constantly save your money, but people much richer than you get millions in bonuses, for nothing.
  • You work hard, earning just enough money with your job at the theatre, yet you get fired rather than another employee who only puts in the effort when the manager’s looking.

To help the audience sympathise with Kelly, we’re stressing the idea that she’s taking things that she deserves, rather than stealing. During the short scene before the game show, we see how her friendly approach to the audience and cheery demeanour only succeeds in getting her fired.

Here’s the original script from the first interview with Kelly. It changed a little during the editing stages, but the idea that hard work doesn’t pay off remains:

So what made you want to take part in Wheel of Control?

I feel like I need to try something new, take a chance or something. I’ve always worked hard, at school, in my job… and it never seems to pay off. Sometimes I think always being honest and playing by the rules gets you nowhere; I was fired from my last job even though I was always there on time, really committed… there were people who didn’t work as hard as me and complained all the time that got to keep their jobs. And I don’t think it’s fair.

Are you excited?

Of course! I’m hoping that being on the show will help me build up my confidence again. I can’t wait to see what happens.